Saturday, June 20, 2009

First Day of Summer

I just love summer . From swimming pools and corn on the cob, to crickets and thunderstorms I love it! I'm so glad it's finally here. It brings so many nostalgic memories from being a kid(I still am completely a kid on the inside but I have to operate in an adult world.) This is what summer is to me.....


Summer is....


Ice cream on a hot day, melting down the side of a waffle cone, tipping ,oh no, but dad saves it just in time.


Watermelon dripping down my chin, spitting black seeds across the table (and at each other).


Hamburgers hot off the grill, Saturday night after a long busy day, loaded with toppings and juicy yellow corn on the side.


Raspberries just picked from the back of the house, so perfectly sweet and plump.


Lemonade in a clear glass picture at Gram's after a game of baseball on humid July night.




Summer is...


Crickets singing late in to the night creating an invisible symphony.


Birds chirping at five o clock in the morning , twittering and singing until dawn.


Oldies playing on the radio, tunes you've know the words to since you were seven though they were written fifty years ago.


Voices going by your window while you lie in bed at night , cars speeding by in your sleep and a lone skate boarder swooshing past.


Thunder clashing, banging, booming like a canon, shaking the whole house and filling you with awe.




Summer is...


The smell of upstairs on a August afternoon , dust mingling with heat creating the perfect atmosphere for novel reading and story writing.


Fresh, early, morning dew creeping thru my window giving me the hope I need to begin another day.


Smoke on the 4th of July filling the air and my lungs with thick gray fumes.


Chicken barbecuing on the grill telling my stomach it's chow time.


Our neighbors bonfire , making me feel like I'm camping again and putting me in the mood for marshmallows.




Summer is...


Fireworks , brilliantly exploding as I lay in the grass, dazzled by the amazing colors.


Marshmallows slowly cooking now light on fire, glowing as it turns to ash.


Millions of stars, all I can see on a pitch black night up north, making me feel like one tiny speck in an endlessly vast universe.


The sun reflecting off the river , glaring in my eyes, creating a beautiful light.


Sailboats bobbing on the water on a perfect Sunday afternoon being carried off by the breeze.




Summer is...


The humidity creeping up my back, up my arms, in my hair, bearing down on everything, making the day move in slow motion.


Bare feet on the sand, the bumpy, rough sidewalk and in the pool.


Cold water running down my back and face from the hose , spraying in my mouth , causing shrieks of surprise as I spray my brother.


Dirt in my fingers and nails as I weed the garden on the hottest morning of the year, sweat dripping down my face and neck.


A cool and gentle fan lulling me to sleep with its soft breeze and hum.


Summer is....



Work and sweat and mosquito bites,


It's scraps and bumps and stings.



Youthful memories and dreams reborn


Hopes for relaxation and fun.


It's reality , sure, like everything else but on June 21st let me dream!











No comments:

Post a Comment