Monday, October 5, 2009

Sister's Journal Day 1

Ah! Free time at last. From the time we rise at 5 a.m until our 1:00 free hour us sisters our on our toes. This morning at breakfast I found my self thinking "Oh its only 8 and already I want to go back to bed"! You see I have a very strange habit of rising a half hour earlier than everyone else and jogging in place in my cell. Very unusual I know for a nun but I have been doing it ever since I entered. At first many of the sisters wondered at the noises coming from my corner of the hall so early in the morning so I had to explain. I was afraid that I would be forbidden from doing it anymore but Mother Superior only laughed and asked that perhaps I make my runs a little softer of step.
This morning at study period I was reading up on the history of our order. Mother knows I am a history buff and has been very kind in allowing me to pursue my interest during study. Today I was just going over the first foundations starting with Holy Father St. Francis himself. He left his earthly father's house in 1209 to live by the providence of His Heavenly Father alone. His first follower was Bernardo di Quintavalle a prominent member of the town. By the end of that year he had 11 followers. They lived not in Assisi itself but the hillsides of Umbria. Francis's rule was approved by the pope but he himself rewrote it in 1223. The original rule was not so much that as a collection of scripture passages that they were to model their lives after.
The Poor Clares (my order!) were founded in 1212 but it wasn't until 1253 the day before our Holy Mother's death that the rule was approved by Pope Innocent IV. The Third order was instituted in 1221.
Even in their lifetimes Francis and Clare were faced with disputes over the rule. After Francis passed away Clare worked to the last to keep his original rule in tact. Despite their valiant efforts the 1st order would eventually be divided into three fractions the Order of Friars Minor(brown Franciscans),the O.F.M Conventuals(black), and the Capuchins(gray). The Poor Clares would also experience similar fractions.
Unfortunately I must go now. Free time is almost up and still have some reading I'd like to do. Perhaps I shall have a few moments to spare this evening. God be with you.~Sr. M. Colette~

No comments:

Post a Comment